Sunday, January 28, 2007

I wish everything was this easy



Something sad sparked my recollection of this song yesterday, but I’m really glad it did. I had not thought about the gentle Alt-Country styles of the band known as Tarnation for quite some time, and not only was it a welcomed trip down memory lane, but it was also an enlightening one. It would appear that the long dormant 4AD band is now on the verge of releasing a new record (well sort of.) Apparently after Tarnation’s 1997 sophomore effort, "Mirador," main songwriter & lead vocalist Paula Frazer dropped the moniker and released several records under her own name on the unlikely Retro Fuzz label, Birdman Records. This March 1st, Frazer evokes the Tarnation name once again with the release of "Now It’s Time," also distributed by Birdman.

I listened to the title track on her Myspace profile, and got really excited. The song is gorgeous and has a strange Cat Stevens quality to it. If that song is any indication, I suspect that the new album will still have the same dreamy feel of Tarnation’s debut, "Gentle Creatures," minus the tin-can vocals.

The song I’m posting, "It’s Not Easy," is probably my favorite Tarnation song, and easily one of their most upbeat. The beautiful contrast of Matt Wendell Sullivan’s lead vocals and Frazer’s wailing yodel comforts me every time.

It’s Not Easy (mp3)

-Popkoff

No comments: