Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Wire



It's almost cliche now to claim to like Wire. So many bands and artists have cited them as an influence, that it almost feels un-hip to not like them.

I stumbled upon Wire in the bargain cassette bin of Hastings many years ago. I bought their first 2 albums ('Pink Flag' and 'Chairs Missing') for a buck each. For about a year I listened to those albums so intensely on my headphones, that I can now recite every lyric. It was 1991 and I had grown tired of radio, tv and college rock.

Within the span of 2 albums though, Wire changed from a manic punk band exploding into 2 minute songs to a post punk art band willing to experiment with, and abandon, what they had done previously. A year hadn't even passed, 'Pink Flag' came out in 1977. 'Chairs Missing' came out in 1978.

The music was pure balm to me. The melody, energy and angular guitars from 'Pink Flag' can still be heard today (Interpol, Elastica, Lush, Bloc Party, Rakes anyone?), and the dubby textures, echo reverb and fantastic use of silence from 'Chairs Missing' are still being employed today to great effect (i.e. Mogwai, Trans Am, Colder, etc...)

Here's a few tunes from both, but i highly suggest tracking down both albums today.

Field Day For The Sundays from 'Pink Flag'
Ex Lion Tamer from 'Pink Flag'
Mannequin from 'Pink Flag'

Practice Makes Perfect from 'Chairs Missing'
French Film Blurred from 'Chairs Missing'
Another The Letter from 'Chairs Missing'
Men 2nd from 'Chairs Missing'
I Am The Fly from 'Chairs Missing'

-Drew

No comments: