Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Goodnight Mr. Spaceman



Last March I saw Billy Bragg perform as part of Anti’s SXSW Hootenanny at the Central Presbyterian Church, a unique experience to say the least. I didn’t really know much about him then, nor do I now, but I have a general idea of who he is, and his place in musical history. Recently I picked up a MOJO compilation for a $1 that had a song by him on it, and I liked the song so much, it inspired this blog. It’s a very simple, very endearing Pop Rock song about a girl, a song that would fit nicely along side Wreckless Eric’s “Whole Wide World.” That being said, I realized that most of my favorite Love songs are in fact simple little Pop Rock tunes.

A dear friend of mine recommended Television Personalities to me a long time ago, and cited them as a reason to like Jens Lekman (since he covered them, he couldn’t be all that bad.) I’ve like everything I’ve heard by them, and if nothing else, I like the fact that they wrote a song based on dialogue from the film Gregory’s Girl.

Speaking of Jens Lekman, his entire song-writing style is more or less akin to that of Jonathan Richman, who will be playing both the Cactus Café & the Continental Club in late February. I’m pretty excited about seeing him.

The only things I really have to say about the Velvet Underground right now is that this particular version of “I’m Sticking With You” is in my opinion better than the none-demo version. It was playing in my car several years ago when I got into a car accident with a pillar that probably should killed me. Plus, I also learned how to sign the lyrics of this song for an American Sign Language assignment.

New England (mp3) - Billy Bragg
Someone to Share my Life With (mp3) - Television Personalities
Everyday Clothes (mp3) - Jonathan Richman
I’m Sticking With You (Demo) (mp3) - The Velvet Underground

Bonus:
Someone to Share my Life With (mp3) - Jens Lekman

–Popkoff

No comments: