Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Writer’s Block


It’s been a while since I’ve posted something new, so today we get two posts in one. First off, they say that downloading music is wrong, but let me present this for your consideration. A month ago I had never heard of Peter Bjorn & John, a Swedish pop rock duo in the same vain as Belle and Sebastian or Camera Obscura. Then I came across the song "Young Folks," on this mp3 blog The Torture Garden, and I loved it. So, I downloaded the whole album, Writer's Block, and surprisingly I loved it as well. So then I looked the CD up on Amazon to see how much it was running there and to my surprise, it’s still not available in America, and the imports are like $25. Long story short, a month ago I had never heard of them, and now I’m chopping at the bit to buy their album at my local record store.

(Right Click, Save Target As)
Objects of My Affection
Young Folks (feat. Victoria Bergsman)
Amsterdam

The second thing on my agenda today is another duo that Peter Bjorn & John remind me of (especially the song Objects of My Affection, which has the same "little drummer boy" quality to the drums), Damon and Naomi, formerly of the popular indie group Galaxie 500.


The Wondrous World of Damon & Naomi was released in 1995 on Sub Pop and is often referred to as "new psych," but it’s really just folky strumming over interesting atomospheric sounds. It’s pretty...like a pony.

(Right Click, Save Target As)
The New Historicism
Tour of the World
Life Will Pass You By
Who Am I


-Popkoff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Parasol.com has "Writer's Block" at a nice price.