Sunday, August 27, 2006

An Emotion Dam


A year and half or so ago, when the new Half Priced Books opened, I spent quite a few hours sitting on the floor digging through their $0.98 Clearance discs. Through this excavation I came across a lot of promo CDs by artists on Mute Records. One of them was by a band from Liverpool known as Mountaineers, a classic example of a band that throws everything at the wall and walks away with a mess on their hands. On their only full length, ironically titled Messy Century, you will find elements of electronic psychedelia, Brit-pop folk, hip hop, and the occasional radio-friendly anthem-esque chorus. Most of these things never really jell. So you might wonder why I would take the time to write about this band, two reasons: their album is in fact interesting and might be more appealing to someone else, and there are 3 really good songs placed back-to-back right in the middle of the album. Not only were these songs good enough for me to hold on to the CD for, but I guess II also thought that they are worth writing about.

I Gotta Sing
Belgique Limb
Want To Write You

-Popkoff

No comments: