Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I'm Just Remembering...

The power of familiarity is often thought of negatively as it relates to music. It's usually the scapegoat that explains why people sometimes listen to bad music, but I think in some cases it can be a positive force. I bought “Bright Flight” by Silver Jews sometime in 2003 while I was employed at CD Warehouse, I would often put it on while working. I remember the initial attraction being the detached slightly ironic vocals and the nonsensical lyrics. It was a bizarre funny album that just made me want to sing along.

When I listened to it again recently for the first time in at least a couple of years, I had a much different attraction to it. It was like I bumped into an old friend by chance, and not only were things not uncomfortable, but they were in fact glorious. The nonsensical lyrics now meant much more and seemed comforting; the ironic vocals were replaced with a genuine bittersweet country sadness. I was taken back to a different time in my life, and more importantly I was reminded of how good that time in my life was. I've spent too much time recently allowing the present to reshape the past.

Time Will Break the World
I Remember Me
Tennessee
Death of an Heir of Sorrows

Drag City Records
-Popkoff

No comments: