Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Give People Little Presents So They Remember Me



Since this is the inaugural post for Open House, we decided it would be appropriate if it was about our moniker’s inspiration, "Songs For Drella" by Lou Reed & John Cale.

After the death of pop artist Andy Warhol in 1987, life long adversaries and former Velvet Underground cohorts, Reed & Cale, began working together for the first time in decades. The result was this, an odd, amusing, and strangely moving experiment in minimalism and storytelling. With merely a guitar, keyboard, and viola, Reed and Cale would take turns on vocals, sometimes singing as themselves, sometimes channeling the persona of Warhol.

I first heard "Songs For Drella" in 2002, but it’s effect on me now remains to same. When it came time to assign a name to what it was we were trying to do, it was among the first ideas to spring to mind. Why? You decide.

Open House
Slip Away (A Warning)
A Dream
I Believe

--Popkoff

1 comment:

Southbound Cinema said...

I haven't listened to this album in years. It's brilliant, inspiring, and very special to me. To think I found it used...