Saturday, April 15, 2006

Driving Through the Mountains Listening to a Song


So Hudson Bell crept onto my radar about a month ago and they have remained firmly planted there based entirely on the strength of one song, "Slow Burn." They’re on Monitor Records, which is a label that is endearing itself to me more and more as time passes, and they make the kind of layered sprawling pop rock that instantly worms it’s way into your heart. I highly recommend checking out their debut "When the Sun is the Moon."

Slow Burn
The Falls

Monitor Records

Buy It!

Also, I wanted to post a couple songs by the band Shooting At Unarmed Men.


The main draw to them for me is that they feature former Mclusky guitarist Jon Chapple. Admittedly the band’s sound is far different from that of Mclusky’s and certainly not as instantly gratifying, but I do see the potential for this album to become a future favorite of mine. The songs themselves seem sort of subdued on record, but structurally tight. Given their strong rhythms and rousing sing-along-type choruses, I suspect that the songs will really flesh out more live. A couple other things to note; the liner notes omit the band member’s names and simply offer the phrase "those who need to be thanked will be thanked in person."

No-One Can Waltz
The Pink Ink

Too Pure Records

Buy It!

Plus, here is one of my favorite Mclusky tracks.

You Should Be Ashamed, Seamus

Too Pure Records

-Popkoff

No comments: