Sunday, April 22, 2007

Close your eyes...



It was 1992, my friends and I started going to raves. The music was not only futuristic: Detroit Techno, Acid House, and Hardcore Breakbeat; they were also new genres of music I had never heard. I was not only inspired to make music but to find as much as i could about it. [The rhythms and bass lines were beguiling and hypnotic.]

A year later, while visiting Melissa at her new digs, her then boyfriend Scott played me a song that would stop me dead in my tracks. It was this hybrid of breakbeats, Brian Eno style pads, spaced out bleeps, cartoon vocals, and tough stabs of Detroit Techno style synthesizers. The song was ACEN's "Close your eyes". It perfectly captured the spirit of that time in dance music.

The dark beauty of that track was brought back to my attention today after 14 years [!!!!] by an amazing update by Speakerjunk. Enjoy and remember...

The original Acen "Close your eyes" 1993

The update Speakerjunk "Close your eyes" 2007

The links are hosted by Zshare. When you click on the link, keep looking for the download icons.

---Mr. Mark

No comments: