Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Adventures in Amazonia, Part Two: Martin Rev



Alongside Alan Vega, Martin Rev formed the late-70's New York band Suicide. That fact alone was reason enough for me to buy one of Rev’s solo works, “Clouds of Glory,” an album recorded mostly between 1981 & 1984. Another reason? It was only a penny on Amazon, plus shipping of course.

The exact reason why I bought Rev’s album though was once again because of Little Hits. Back when I religiously visited that blog everyday, I downloaded his 1979 single “Mari,” which is an incredible Electro-Pop song, that caused a friend of mine to recently joke that “wow, those Postal Service dudes totally ripped this guy off.” That song is definitely poppy and even sort of bouncy, but the real appeal of it to me though is that it has a whimsical quality to it that’s not unlike the songs of Mort Garson.

The Verdict: Well I guess the best possible thing that could of happened would have been if “Cloud of Glory” were jam-packed with dreamy Synth-Pop songs like “Mari,” but it is instead filled mostly with what I would call Proto-Industrial tracks, which bare a mild resemblance to the soundtracks of many 80's Horror films. It’s not a total lost cause for me though, the track “Whisper” is right up my alley, and I’ve included that song below as well one of the other tracks from the album that better represents it.

Martin Rev:
Mari (mp3) from “Martin Rev

Whisper (mp3) from “Clouds of Glory
Rocking Horse (mp3) from “Clouds of Glory

Suicide:
Cheree (mp3) from Suicide’s S.T.

Mort Garson:
Plantasia (mp3)

–Popkoff

No comments: