Thursday, November 16, 2006

THEMED THURSDAYS: JOHNNY THUNDERS




Several years ago I attended a creative writing class, in which a student wrote a short story about the ghost of Johnny Thunders. In the story, the notorious New York Doll’s guitarist haunted the New Orleans hotel that was the site of his death. At the time, I wasn’t aware of who Johnny Thunders was, and thus, I didn’t fully appreciate the story, but a part of me has always wished I could go back and re-read it now.

I’ve posted the Kinks song that, although I haven’t read anything that confirms it, probably gave Johnny Thunders his name, along with a classic Thunders track, and a fitting Murder City Devil’s tribute.

Johnny Thunder - The Kinks (mp3) 1968
You Can’t Put Your Arms Around A Memory - Johnny Thunders (mp3) 1978
Johnny Thunders - Murder City Devils (mp3) 1998

–Popkoff

No comments: