Saturday, September 23, 2006

The One Man Beatles?


The wonder of Emitt Rhodes is quite new to me. At first listen, his sugary 70's golden pop sheen was an immediate draw. However, after many listens a darkness surfaces from beneath the gloss and sunny production. His sound is often compared to the Beatles and while that was obviously an influence, traces of Burt Bachrach, PET SOUNDS era Beach Boys, Phil Spector, and even Serge Gainsbourg all make appearences.

His intricate pop craft was sadly a victim of the record industry's corporate greed. The great American catalog of music he should have left never came into fruition, but we do have four albums worth of material to ponder what could have been.

With my face on the floor
Somebody made for me
Promises I made
Pardon me
Holly Park
Til the day after
Bad man
Warm self sacrifice



These sounds seem tailor made for headphones, listen for yourself.

---Mr. Mark

No comments: