Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Little Bowie in a Ziggy Wig


Recently while digging through a clearance bin in Chicago, I came across an album that was buried in the back of my mind for years. When "Listen to the Night" by the strangely named Team USA first came out in March of 2002, I remember reading several positive things about it, but back then when I stood at the listening station with the case in my hand, I wasn’t too impressed. Several years later though, being well aware of how much my tastes have changed over time (and with it only being $0.99), I decided to give it another go round.

The album is uneven, but nonetheless energetic and catchy fun. There is no irony (despite their album cover wardrobe) to the retro vibes either, which is always nice. The funny thing about indie-pop (especially of the retro variety) is that it’s very easy for a band, any band, to get lost in the mix. Hell, for a band like Team USA, it’s even easier to get lost in the sea of pop bands on your own label. In their case, StarTime International (French Kicks, Dios Malo, The Futureheads, etc.) has seemingly given up on them after just an album and an e.p. It’s their loss I guess, although they were nice enough to do a news update on the bands current output. Essentially the band has recorded, designed, and is self releasing a new 8 song album entitled "8."


You can e-mail band leader Johnny Mathias here, and order a copy for only $5.

Give these tracks a listen, and tell us what you think. Personally, I’m currently in love with the song "Hey."

Hey
The Postcard
Too Young
Halloween

Buy It! Cheap!

–Popkoff

No comments: