Tuesday, July 18, 2006

You're Born Once Again For Me


So this might seem like an obvious post, but I try to post stuff that is interesting to me at the moment. Recently I’ve begun working on a David Bowie compilation for a friend which has meant that I’ve been listening to a LOT of Bowie. It’s funny how time changes so gradually that you don’t notice when something is completely altered. There was a time a few years ago when I wouldn’t go anywhere without at least one of the 19 Bowie albums I own, and I have often said that he’s definitely in my all-time top 3 solo artists (alongside Morrissey & Tom Waits); all of which I am not nearly as obsessed with as I used to be. My tastes have expanded further and when I hear these records now, it’s like I’m listening to them with new ears. Some things seem better (Diamond Dogs, Low), and some things worse (Aladdin Sane), but it’s all very nostalgic for me, especially "Fantasitc Voyage," which in all honesty might be my favorite Bowie song. So here are some lesser known Bowie tracks that really do mean quite a bit to me.

Quicksand - from "Hunky Dory" (1971)
Letter to Hermione - from "Space Oddity" (1972)
Word on a Wing - from "Station to Station" (1976)
Fantastic Voyage - from "Lodger" (1979)

In my various searches for David Bowie on YouTube I came across these odd clips:




-Popkoff

No comments: