Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Try a little Adventure.
So I had lunch with an old friend today who works in South Austin, a part of town I do not frequent as much anymore. After lunch I went to Half Price Books, stood outside next to the Clearance racks waiting for the rain to yield, and then went to the nearby Goodwill. While there I purchased some $0.99 vinyl, Grace Jones’ “Nightclubbing” for Mr. Mark, Ian Dury’s “Laughter,” and this little gem:


The follow-up to Television’s fondly-reflected-upon debut “Marquee Moon,” “Adventure” seems destined to forever be overshadowed by it’s predecessor, which makes sense considering it lacks the prominent riffs and guitar solos so often associated with them. It’s also a somewhat softer record, but I believe it to be a stronger one, due in part to the epic soothing sweep (especially from the keyboards) on songs like “Carried Away” and “The Fire.” The album in a lot of ways seems more earnest than “Marquee Moon” and it lacks the New York attitude that record has, which I find interesting since I think singer Tom Verlane’s voice often echos that of Lou Reed's, especially here on the song “Glory.” I guess overall, I just think “Adventure” is a more solid effort, the second half of “Marquee Moon” always seemed to drag to me. I think I’m done now. Enjoy.

Glory
Days
Carried Away
The Fire

Buy It!

--Popkoff

No comments: