Sunday, June 18, 2006

"Love taught me who was, who was the BOSS!"


Recently, I have been into seventies r&b/soul/jazz/funk. My fascination began with two people; my Mom and Louie Vega.

Growing up in a rural smalltown, my mom was quite sophisticated. She ALWAYS had music on in the background. The music, though, was always urban. Funk/Disco/R&B were staples in the car [8 track of the Spinners anyone?], her workshop, and in the gameroom. I remember her hating Diana Ross [so "conceited"] and LOVING Donna Summer ["That my JAM!"]. I remember the Salsoul Orchestra, Sylvester, Lou Rawls, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder....The thump of the bass drum was omnipresent. Little did she know what she was playing would have a profound effect on me.

As part of the DJ/Produciton team MASTERS AT WORK, Louie Vega spins the vibe of the Disco era with the new music steeped in the spirit of the seventies. Three years ago while downloading music I came across a DJ set by Louie at the Winter Music conference. He played "Love hangover", "Another star", and "Is it all over my face". Hearing these songs again presented in the modern context of a house set blew me away. Not only was he paying homage to the influences he had, he was also showing the relevence the music STILL had on modern dance music.
My obsession to find these tracks was born. In a way, hearing this music takes me back to that golden age of my childhood...and the arrangements-AMAZING! All this being said, I recently had the pleasure of meeting a new friend who was also obsessive about this "vibe". These songs are for you.

"The Boss" (Masters At Work Remix) - The Braxtons [Diana Ross cover]
"Like a Butterfly" - Masters At Work featuring Patti Austin
"Feelin' Love" - Hott City


---Mr. Mark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome songs. Especially loved "FEELIN' LOVE." Classic.

Anonymous said...

I love the Braxtons' remake of Diana Ross's The Boss!
Thanx a lot!