Thursday, March 13, 2008

SXSW: IHeartComix vs. Mad Decent

Fluokids, DJ Mel, & Flosstradamus
Before I begin to talk about the IHeartComix event, I want to review some of shows I have seen.
Monday, I went to the Beauty Bar for the Fluokids and Flosstradamus event. I must admit that the Fluokids were amazing, their DJ set included electro, old school techno, and tons of zany off the wall edits. My friends and I danced our asses off, and the open bar provided by imeem.com was also a plus. Flosstradamus began their DJ set with Crystal Water's 1994 classic New York House anthem "100% Pure Love". The whole dancefloor gasped and cheered with complete joy, it was heavenly and made me so excited and nostalgic...BUT THEN Flosstradamus played ANOTHER Crystal Waters song the influential "Gypsy Woman" from 1991, the guys kept cutting up the "la-da-de" vocal part with the organ riff, it felt like like the speakers were pounding the walls with soul.



I will admit something though, the DJ set that really moved me the most though was fellow Austinite, DJ Mel. He played a set that included house, soul, funk, 80's electro, and so much more. I was completely stunned that his musical scope was so vast and GIMMICK FREE! He really represented Austin well, and if you see an event with him on the bill, GET A TICKET! He is pictured above with my friend Herme, photo by Annie Ray.

Lindstrøm
Lindstrøm played a laptop set featuring music from his forthcoming release, “Where You Go I Go Too”. I arrived late to the venue, as I entered Diskjokke finished an animated sounding preformance. Shortly after, Lindstrøm set up his gear and began playing. The DJ set was a bit confusing to the some of the audience. There was A LOT of industry types there, who were sort of scratching their heads as Lindstrøm played for over what seemed like 10 minutes before dropping his first kick drum. He was slow and deliberate, taking his time to create soundscapes that were at times serene, dreamy as they were complex and cerebral. If this show was any indication of his next record, I can only say he has firmly moved from the space disco vibe of his earlier work to a more minimalist approach to disco that is at once laidback and transcendent. Definately, an artist to watch in 2008.

IHeartComix vs. Mad Decent

This Friday is the unreal free event featuring over 40 artists playing you every possible style of dance music imaginable. From the baile funk of Diplo, the fidjit house of Switch, to the Pop Funk of Walter Meego. This is going to be an interesting event.
One of the great things about SXSW, are the free shows giving you just as much as the actual label showcases. We truly live in an amazing city! RSVP for admittance.

IHEARTCOMIX official site
Mad Decent Official Site
Annie Ray offical site

---Mr. Mark

No comments: